Monday 16 May 2011

A good article on "functional training"

So as you could see the other day I engaged in a conversation with Mr Murphy (murphy_fitness) about functional training.

It's quite obvious where I stand on this. I don't prescribe to the "functional" phenomenon. And I'll explain. In my limited knowledge of training and sports exercise I have spent a lot of time at looking at my own personal goals and so in some ways have become "blinkered" in different training approaches - ultimately I will do what works for me and avoid exercises which don't. Fair point. But what I have always done is try to assert basic common sense and the most scientific sense based on pier reviewed articles/journals.

So here is where I stand on the subject of functional training.

Functional training experts will advise you to use everything but a machine in your weight training routine. So the use of training bands, balls, human bodyweight, resistance and plyometrics thus creating an unstable environment for your body to then exercise in.

The principal of functional training is to "mimic the function of the human body be it in life or a sporting context". (This is the most commonly defined term used among professionals for the term "functional").

However as the article which I will link to will show there is a better definition.

Functional - Func.tion.al
1. capable of operating or functioning
2. capable of serving the purpose for which it was intended
(Webster's Encyclopedia 2nd Edition, 1996)

So to not let me ruin the rest of the article which you can read at your hearts content, I just want to ask this question. 

At what point does doing a push up on a bosu ball with weighted arm bands actually replicate anything you would have done in your life to reading this article? 

No comments:

Post a Comment