Thursday 12 May 2011

A response from Mr Murphy.

I have to hand it to Mr Murphy, he did read the article and write back a response on twitter, it's more than what some so-called "health and fitness professionals" would ever do. At least he took the time to read it and for that I am grateful. Like I said, if I ever pass by LA I will offer him a smoothie/protein shake by way of hello - and hope there are no hard feelings.

His response.

"No offense taken. But please understand that I don't have the time nor the space VIA TWITTER to launch into what would be, in your opinion, an acceptable full-blown scientific paper on what the definition/definitions of functional training are. I still don't believe u r understanding what my points r, & in some instances we R still speaking of 2 diff things.  I have no blinders on, and my definitions/theories/beliefs are backed by science and study, something I pride myself on and believe this is why I have achieved such success). I am in the process of writing a book, so maybe when it comes out you can pick it up and find an explanation to your liking (or not.). As I said before, we may agree to disagree. I do applaud u on ur study & interest in finding the "truths" of exercise... many people take what is spoon fed 2 them by the media, "false fitness prophets", etc. and make many mistakes in their journey towards health and fitness." 


The answer is a little loaded in places, but that's understandable. I think the way the blog post came across was attacking in parts (although never personal). I stand by what I am defining as functional training (primarily in a sporting context) and I do think we are talking about different things. Over the weekend I hope to look at the theory that Mr Murphy gave me and develop my understanding of what he is saying. I also wanted to note that the "blinders" comment was innacurate by me. I find fitness professionals being some of the most passionate people going. It's because they achieve results and their reputation is built on making others achieve results that when you question something they do or put out there as advice, then there becomes a defensiveness - based purely on passion and study (in most part, but you would be amazed) - that is quite apparent in the way they talk.

Anyway, Mr Murphy thank you for taking the time to read the blog post of a fitness enthusiast (not professional - but I would always be the first one to say it). You can always email me an article or more to support your theory - but I will look into to what you say over the weekend and who knows I may do a video post to hopefully demonstrate what it is you are saying and what I am saying.

Peace,
G

ginodeblasio(at)gmail(dot)com


No comments:

Post a Comment