Thursday 28 July 2011

I am what I am...

The "genetic perfection" according to Michaelangelo
"I'm a 6'3 pale white, narrow shouldered Italian" and I have to accept that.

This is one of the hardest concepts that I have had to get my head around, but ultimately one which has made my training possible. I am limited genetically. As are you.

In my family I have some elite athletes on one side, and on the other side stocky muscular types. None have been over the 6ft mark before. In this, I am unique. I accept that. The elite athletes have competed at boxing, karate, netball and football at semi-professional and professional levels, some for their nations. The stocky types have never had any issue building muscle through manual labour mainly. Now genetics aren't just the generation before me, I am merely a vessel to pass my genetics through further generations etc. So maybe my children or children's children will be tall and athletically built, or short and stocky, or a mixture of the two - who knows.

The point is, because of my genetics I, like you, am limited to what I can achieve. I believe that diet, exercise, attitude will get you to where you want to be, but upto a point. You see, I will never be built like Stallone or Schwarzenegger. I will never have the arms of Casey Viator or the back of Franco Columbo. I won't be able to jump like Jordan or have the reflexes of Senna. No matter how hard I train, diet and believe in getting there, I will be limited to how much I can achieve - that wont stop me though.

I accept that this is my body type. This 20 week experience (which ends this weekend) has shown that you can still grow, increase strength, change your body and feel great all at the same time. (Well, when you are not throwing up after a few sessions) I accept that I won't, or have the ability of the people mentioned above because my genetics won't let me. But I also accept that I am tall, that I actually have a good propensity for physical activity, that I am stronger than I look and that whilst I may not by stacked like some bigger folk, I can lift just as much as them. I am Gino, and I am unique.


No comments:

Post a Comment